August 15, 2017

Small Talk


Let there be small talk

And I swear I will try not to lose myself

In the valleys you create

Between the lines

I will respond

My replies will be the songs

I send soaring up with the winds

But it’s only the air conditioner

Breathing down our necks

Don’t notice my hands

These fidget-machines

They trace the torn outlines of the menu card

The warm rim of the soup bowl

And leave it to the eyes

To run a 100 meter dash right up your arm

Taking a roundabout

And settling by the shores of brown

Your warm, beautiful eyes.

And yes, I will smile

At my pitiful attempts to distract and disguise

To avoid the overkill

Of apocalyptic proportions

To not let you know

That this is so.

So let there be small talk

Chit-chat of no consequence

Don’t let the silence spell out

Things left unsaid.


#101DaysofPoetry Day 5


2 comments:

A reflection shared is an insight gained. :)